vamp_reads: (Default)
[personal profile] vamp_reads
I'm a mood reader. In contrast to a lot of people I see talking about their reading life online, I have no ambition to get my TBR down to 100 or 50 or 10. I'm the third generation in a house of readers, which means that while I did buy a lot of books in my life there are just as many on my shelves that belonged to my parents or grandparents. My two-volume edition of Anna Karenina is in Fraktur, which was abandoned in 1941. That is to say: My possible TBR is humongous! Also, it doesn't necessarily consist of books that interest me or that I plan on reading right this moment. I don't think of my books as things that have to be read or finished or conquered. They are not boxes I need to check off. I think of them as a library and I choose from this library whenever the mood strikes.

I love going through my shelves and my list at the library and deciding on a whim what might interest me next. That means I don't necessarily have "set" plans for a month, but there usually are a few things I want to get to. Like the following:

Amal El-Mohtar & Max Gladstone: This Is How You Lose the Time War (2019)
This is the September pick for [community profile] bookclub_dw. After finishing this novel I'll definitely need a palate cleanser, because it will be the third genre read in a row (after Natasha Pulley's The Lost Future of Pepperharrow and Peter S. Beagle's I'm afraid you've got dragons) and generally I don't do too well with genre these days. But I like time travel (come on, I'm a long time Diana Gabaldon fan, of course I love time travel), so I decided to give this one a go.

Colm Tóibín: Long Island (2024)
This one will be my pick for the Read Good Challenge. The prompt for September is to read a Booker shortlisted author. As a rule, I don't do well with the Booker prize. Whenever I try a Booker winner, I come out of the reading experience jaded and bored. So, this doesn't bode well, but on the other hand the challenge isn't to read a Booker book - it's simply to read from an author who was shortlisted in the past. I went through my bookshelves and my library list and in the end decided on Colm Tóibín's Long Island. This will be my first book by the author, so I'm curious how I'll do. I know basically nothing about the novel - I generally go pretty blind into my library picks.

Vicki Baum: Danger from Deer (1951)
This will be my first audiobook pick for the month and my first outing with Vicki Baum. It's kind of unclear whether this novel is originally in English or German (Baum was an Austrian writer who moved to California), but there are definitely more German than English editions around. Despite the first (English) edition from 1951, there don't seem to be later editions. Sorry, folks.

What else is planned? Depending on how quickly I fly through those books, I might pick up Arcadia by Lauren Groff, because I like her writing and I'm slowly working my way through her backlist. J. D. Davies' Matthew Quinton books are also a possibility. I finally got the last missing book in the series, so I can now jump back in and read this sweeping Age of Sail tale from front to back. Yay!

Welcome!

I'm Michelle. I read and then I write about what I read. You're invited to come along!

Profile

vamp_reads: (Default)vamp_reads

Style Credit

Page generated Sep. 27th, 2026 05:48 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios